Ashley Streicher Shares How to Get Kiernan Shipka’s NYLON Cover Look
Sally Draper, no longer: Actress Kiernan Shipka has shed her ingénue status as “Mad Men” teen in exchange for Netflix series lead of the supernatural hit “Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.” Such ascension calls for magazine covers, and Shipka aptly graced Nylon magazine’s May 2019 The Gen Z Issue. Longtime hair collaborator and R+Co’s new Collective member, Ashley Streicher, styled Shipka’s locks for the sunny shoot. “We knew that it would be a spring issue so we wanted her to look colorful and fresh,” Streicher says. “For Kiernan’s hair we created a look of distressed waves, like a natural California texture.” Loose and chill—befitting a leading Gen Z lady on the rise.
Get the look:
1. Apply a large handful of R+Co CHIFFON Styling Mousse to clean, wet hair, and comb through from roots to ends.
2. Power-dry hair using your hands to keep some of the messiness of any natural waves.
3. Once hair is 90% dry, add a pea-size amount of R+Co MANNEQUIN Styling Paste. Warm the paste between your hands, and then apply from mid-lengths through the ends. Continued power-drying.
4. When hair is fully dry, twist and scrunch hair using your hands until hair is completely cooled (about 10 minutes).
5. Create a natural side part. Then, work hair back off of the face and tuck each side behind the ears, keeping the hair clean and tight to the head. Secure both sides with a gold bobby pin above each ear.
6. For the remaining hair, rough up the texture by lightly backcombing underneath the hair while spraying it with R+Co TROPHY Shine + Texture Spray.
7. Finish the look with an all-over light mist of R+Co TROPHY Shine + Texture Spray to accentuate the piece-y definition.