A Celebration of Immigration: Joseph Abboud FW19
Irish wools and Italian tweeds painstakingly distressed to appear as though they’ve withstood a trans-Atlantic journey: Menswear designer Joseph Abboud’s Fall/winter 2019 NYFW collection paid homage to turn-of-the-20th-Century immigrants in search of asylum and the types of clothes they wore on their arduous three-month voyages to America. That same rumpled yet hearty feel came through in the accompanying texture-laden hairstyles R+Co cofounder Thom Priano, created for the show.
The show was held aboard the Wavertree, an 1800’s cargo sailboat docked at Pier 16 on the East River in New York. Fittingly, when the models walked from boat to pier to runway, the two signature hairstyles seemed windswept and raw—yet still highly wearable—thanks to thoughtful product layering and attention to texture. Here, Thom breaks down how to achieve each style.
Hair by Thom Priano
Photographed by Chris Diaz
Get the Look: Textured Curls
1. Prep hair from roots to ends using TWISTER Curl Primer.
2. Blow-dry hair using a diffuser to bolster both texture and height.
3. Break up curls at the root and lend definition with SAND CASTLE Dry Texture Crème.
Get the Look: Windswept Texture
1. Run AIRCRAFT Pomade Mousse over the entire head to enhance natural texture.
2. Intentionally apply SAND CASTLE Dry Texture Crème to add piece-y texture for the finished look.
Looking for additional texture enhancers? These R+Co products also made appearances backstage at the Joseph Abboud show for select texture and support styling needs: CONTINENTAL Glossing Wax, WALL ST Strong Hold Gel, MOTORCYCLE Flexible Gel, CHIFFON Styling Mousse, and CONTROL Flexible Paste.