Rosibel Argueta shows How to Get Giuliana Rancic’s look from the 2019 Met Gala.
For the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s 2019 Costume Institute Gala, the theme, “Camp: Notes on Fashion,” pays homage to writer Susan Sontag’s 1964 essay, Notes on “Camp,” in which she bullet-points what constitutes camp—extravagance, artifice, absurdity and experimentation—and why it should be embraced. Inspired by the tongue-in-cheek theme, hairstylist Rosibel Argueta, who styled TV host Giuliana Rancic using R+Co products, took one look at Rancic’s soft pink vinyl dress and thought: Barbie. “I showed her a few photos of big, fluffly, soft, brushed-out waves and big updos—like a barbie would don in her box,” says Argueta. “Giuliana loved the idea, so we went for the fluffy waves. I added as many extensions as possible to make the look more doll-like.”
Get the look:
1. Apply R+Co DALLAS Thickening Spray onto wet hair from the roots through the mid-shafts to prep hair for volume and fullness. Use a blow-dryer and a Brush to smooth hair while creating extra lift at the root.
2. Create the extra fullness needed for soft Barbie waves with double-weft 16-inch Hidden Extensions. Affix wefts in three sections: both temples and the back of the head. Lightly tease hair at the root and spray R+Co OUTER SPACE Flexible Hold Hairspray to secure the wefts in place.
3. Working in 1-inch sections, curl hair away from the face using a 1½-inch Curling Iron. Spray each curl with R+Co GRID Structural Hold Setting Spray and pin curls using pin curl clips.
4. While pin curls cool for a few minutes, spray a light coat of R+Co OUTER SPACE Flexible Hold Hairspray to the set.
5. Let the hair loose section by section. Brush out each section, lightly spray with R+Co OUTER SPACE Flexible Hold Hairspray and mold soft, defined waves using the brush and no-crease clips. Continue until all sections are down.
6. Lock the style in place with R+Co VICIOUS Strong Hold Flexible Hairspray. Finish the look with R+Co TROPHY Shine + Texture Spray.