Get the Look The Neon Demon
Hyperstylized horror and killer fashion collide on the July 2016 cover of V Magazine, which features almost-unrecognizable beauties Elle Fanning, Bella Heathcote and Abbey Lee. Outfitted in fierce corsets, frilly tulle, and fabulous sequins, the girls appear as their cutthroat characters from the highly anticipated film The Neon Demon, which delves into the underbelly of the ruthless world of modeling and stardom. Garren makes the actresses look all-the-more menacing with a smooth, structured, pulled-back pompadour. “At first I wanted to style the hair down,” said Garren. “But photographer Steven Klein had a vision of the models as road kill, which pulled the movie into the story. Once that was decided, I dove head first into that glam, ’70s-style, retro feel with the v-shaped quaff that rolls on the top—a subtle play on the magazine’s logo.”
Get the Look:
- Prep hair with BEL AIR Smoothing Shampoo and Conditioner. If hair is fine, rinse with OBLIVION Clarifying Shampoo and OBLIVION Restorative Gel Conditioner to build body.
- Apply DALLAS Thickening Spray at the roots and CHIFFON Styling Mousse from mid shaft to ends and blow out. Insert a few Velcro rollers on the top of the head and allow to the style to set.
- Once dry, brush out and flip the head over to create a smooth, ponytail with the lower half of the hair. Secure and sleek back with VICIOUS Strong Hold Flexible Hairspray.
- Take what is left out on top (while still leaving out the hairline from eyebrow to eyebrow) and make a separate high ponytail. Tease both ponytails, brush forward and together and secure with large bobby pins about an inch behind the hairline.
- Roll the remaining loose hair over the hand to form a pompadour and pull forward to shape the v structure.
- Smooth with a combination of OUTER SPACE Flexible Hairspray and VICIOUS Strong Hold Hairspray to lock in all-day hold.